Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:55:02 +0000

>Anyone read the whole study??

No....I have asked our organisation to get the whole paper for me.

The things I would be looking for include

i) the definition of 'traditional breastfeeding advice'
ii) who gave the advice and how closely were mothers monitored to see
how well they followed it?
iii) what does it matter that the weight gain of the babies on 'baby
led' advice was less than babies fed according to 'traditional'
advice?
iv) were the babies who were supposededly on 'traditional advice'
supplemented (in any case, 'traditional advice' may well include the
advice to supplement)?
v) I would query this especially:

>Babies whose mothers received the traditional advice were more likely to
>be exclusively breastfed up to 12 weeks (log-rank /2 =9.68 p=0.002)

I cannot believe the study was powered enough to detect this
difference.....so few babies in the UK are exclusively bf at 12
weeks, especially in the North of England where this study was
carried out, a sample of 60 plus divided into 2 cohorts would not be
anything like large enough to show the results of any intervention
vi)

>Exclusively breastfed babies having shorter feeds (10 minutes or less
>from the first breast) gained more weight.

This finding is just preposterous - these babies  were followed from
birth to 6-8 weeks.  Practically no baby has a uniform pattern of
length of feed throughout this time. However, lets take the finding
as it comes -  babies who spontaneously stay on the breast for this
relatively (I suppose) short time may well gain weight more because
these are the babies whose mothers have a good storage capacity....so
they are staying on for less not because their mothers have 'made'
them stay on for less time, but because they only needed to stay on
for this length of time.

I am looking forward to reading the whole thing!

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK