Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:07:15 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hello all,

We are busy editing our brochure on mastitis and I have a question.
I think it is important to discern between a sterile mastitis (in fact only inflammation, caused primarily by milkstasis and (too) high intraductal pressure, solved by effectively draining the breast) and a bacterial infection (more likely in case of nipple cracks, thrush and/or neglected sterile mastitis/blocked duct and possibly leading to an abscess).
First question: do you agree that it is relevant to differentiate between these two?
Second question: in case of an abscess, could needle aspiration do the trick to solve it or does it absolutely need an incision to drain the site and get rid of the pus (with or without a drain placed)?
Opinions seem to differ on whether incision is necessary. Personally, I would prefer the least invasive technique, but of course any treatment has to be effective.
Doctors seem to be inclined to prefer incision and then subsequently advise weaning... :-(  As volunteers, we are supposed not to interfere with medical matters, but we want to inform women properly, in order to allow them to know their options and when required, ask for a second opinion or a more bf friendly doctor to help them. As an lc, my role would be different, but in either case I would like to know what is the preferable way to treat a woman with sterile mastitis/bacterial infection/abscess. Antibiotics being a risk factor for thrush, I would like to also mention (not advise!) the option of homeopathy, as many HCP's don't know this can work miracles in a sterile mastitis and would prevent disturbing maternal and infant intestinal flora.

Looking forward to your ideas,
kindly,

Marianne Vanderveen, Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2