Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:09:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
We know that the #1 reason women quit breastfeeding is because they don't think they have enough milk. Approx.85% of new mothers feel this way.  For newborns, paciifers are nothing but calorie burners.  They burn calories sucking and sucking getting nothing in return.  All a newborn knows is "sucking makes me feel better." That's it!
Whether they get milk or not.  This leads to weight loss and everything that goes with it and low maternal milk supply and everything that goes with that.  Leading to formula supplementation - Yada Yada Yada....There is absolutely no reason a healthy newborn (excluding some preemies) needs or should be subjected to a pacifier in the hospital.  I guarrantee that if we forbid pacifiers in the hospital (and the world would not crack and swallow anyone up!)  for all babies and gave our reasons why, (it's a set-up for failure) there would be less women who would use them at home.  Trust me, parents just mimic much of what is done in the hospital.  Now, we are handing them the very rope in which to hang themselves.  It's not right.  We need to own up to the damage it has done and take the responsibility of getting rid of them in the hospitals.  
Rant is officially over!

Maria Parlapiano RN IBCLC
Postpartum Place
55 Main Street
Chatham, NJ 07928

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2