From:
Renee Palting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:24:01 -0500
Not necessarily a Hispanic Challenge but an immigrant/refugee challenge.  I
was approached with the same request from a local refugee group. In our fair
state of Arizona, we did not pass our house bill regarding working and pumping
thus women still do not have pumping rights.  In southern Arizona there are
many farms that rely on immigrant farm workers.  It was explained to me that
they (farm owners/business) can not afford the liability to have children much
less a babe on the field.  Most of the farm workers can not afford to leave the
field to feed a baby. It was termed "not productive time" from both ends.  As
for teaching how to appropriately mix formula- well not even the formula
companies produce teaching sheets on their own products.  And yes- many
people regardless of where they workor status, try to stretch out formula by
watering it down.  I see numerous failure to thrive babes due to this each
month.   I am just as frustrated...

Renee Palting, RN, IBCLC, RLC
Tucson, AZ