From:
Cher Sealy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:56:05 EST
Several people have mentioned that no one is getting the message if we refuse
to speak at a conference sponsored by a Formula Company.  I disagree.  The
message is for the people who are putting on the conference.  If they think
enough of us to ask us to speak, then we DO send a message by refusing to do
so.  Again, we can always offer to speak at a later date.  If we allow it
once, then we will probably be asked to do it again.
Yes, it is in the best interest of educating people about breastfeeding for
an IBCLC to be speaking.  And, yes, this is a personal decision that each of
us must make.  Personally, I could not see it as in MY best interest to do
so.  Dr. Sears found himself being criticized on a grand scale when he tried
to make breastfeeding information available to more people by allowing
sponsorship by a formula company for his website.  Even though we issue a
disclaimer, we are still linked to them by association.  All of us who are
LLL Leaders know and understand this problem well.  At meetings, we explain
that what happens or is said at a meeting may not actually be LLL philosophy.
 However, what happens all too often is that, if it is said or done at a
meeting, people then think it is endorsed by LLL.
Cher Sealy, RN, BSN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Encounter
Montgomery, AL