From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 1995 00:14:22 EDT
Regarding the pump company that charges different rental rates for the hospital
grade and down-sized pumps and KGA's suggestion to COMPLAIN LOUDLY in unison --

Personally, I don't even have a problem paying different rates for the
pumps--the hospital model's retail price is roughly double that of the
down-sized pump so different rental rates do not seem out of line.  What I have
been COMPLAINING LOUDLY about for years is the company's insistence that the
pumps perform identically.  (My complaints seem always to be met with a
quizzical look and I am assured that my perceptions are inaccurate.)

When I rent a pump, I can explain the differences I have perceived in the pumps
and recommend the one I think might be better under the circumstances, and leave
the choice up to the mother.  When the HMO dictates where the pump must be
obtained from and that rental station has believed the sales rep's line that the
hospital grade pump is "inappropriate for home use", the mother has no choice.
By making the price for the pumps to rental stations different, but suggesting
rental rates to the consumer that are identical for the two pumps, the company
virtually ensures that pharmacies and medical supply companies will only carry
the down-sized pump.  I suspect that every year we are going to see the price
gap between the pumps widen because the company's ultimate goal seems to be to
eliminate the hospital grade pump entirely.

The majority opinion so far seems to be that there IS a difference in efficacy
between the pumps.  If you feel this way, PLEASE COMPLAIN LOUDLY to your sales
rep, customer service rep, and the owner of the company.  I think company goals
are getting in the way of OUR goals--to help mothers and babies breastfeed.

I have been saving the posts regarding this--both pro and con--and intend to
send them along to the company I deal with.  I will remove all names before I do
so; I do not wish to incriminate anyone but myself!

Thanks to all who have expressed an opinion.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC