From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 17:15:16 EDT
Hi all--
In a message dated 6/29/98 Miriam wrote:
<<Did anyone hear Meredith Small interviewed on NPR awhile back?  She said
that
in the hunter-gatherer feeding pattern (very frequent brief feeds), since the
milk is never sitting undisturbed for very long, there is never a buildup of a
large amount of foremilk, so this may be one explanation for why the babies
don't get "colic">>
I have heard this explanation before, and it makes sense, but wouldn't help
the situation with my firstborn 16 years ago--she was "colicky" from 2PM-11PM
daily for 5.5 months! I 'd explored at that time many options including
wearing her (I did); feeding her frequently (she did-every 1.5-2.5 hours until
past age one); excluding dairy from my diet (I did); I tried everything that
everyone suggested except drugs with no success. I still wonder what it was
that made her so miserable for all of that time--BTW, she slept thru the night
by 6 weeks, and turned into a most delightful toddler (who self-weaned at 22
mos) and now, honor student-teenager (Do we mothers just have to pay our dues
somewhere along the line??).

Hope that the suggestion re: hunter-gatherer method works for most moms even
tho it didn't for us.

Kathy IBCLC RNC in NJ