Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2011 16:51:22 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I use weight if it is needed. For instance if i am seeing a couplet because mother is complaining of sore nipples then i don't use the scale but if i am seeing a baby that a doctor wanted be to see because they are not gaining weight or if a mother has concern about the feeding - such as the baby is nursing for over an hour and never seems content or if mother has a history of breast surgery or breast hypoplasia. I find the scale to be a very useful tool. I work at a hospital so a scale is readily available to me. I used to be a pediatric nurse (hospital and clinic). I know that weights there were important but not extremely important. I have seen many weights recorded in patients charts that i know was wrong. When i weigh a baby I do it three times. Screaming, crying, moving can make a big difference especially if a baby and you are looking for around a 25gram increase a day. In a busy office the infant is placed on the scale and the number that shows up is what they use unless it is very far off. I didn't realize back then how small of a change of weight could be. 

I will also say that i have seen weights that i have been amazed about some pre and post feeding weights. I do watch a baby nurse and follow all of the clues we are taught -watching the suck to swallow rates and how long of a pause with swallowing but somebabies just don't read the textbooks and follow all the rules we use. I have seen babies who appeared to be so lazy at the breast and then weighed them afterwards and was amazed. I have seen babies showing 'swallowing' motions and sounds when sucking on my dry finger. I know nothing was going into their mouth but they were doing picture perfect suck, suck swallow just by my finger. 

The scale is just one more tool that we have the ability to use. 

Jessica Callahan
RN, IBCLC
NC, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2