From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2015 02:21:58 -0400
I accidentally sent my reply unifinshed:

     How odd that in the Unites States someone would have an issue with osteopathy, as osteopaths are fully equivalent to MDs.

    http://www.traditionalosteopathy.com/children.htm

http://www.om-pc.com/content/2/1/8

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2431/13/65

I don't have time right now for a full search, but I am at a conference on airway function and an osteopath happened to mention that there is a good body of research available on osteopathy in infants.

I, like others am always troubled when care that we know is beneficial is treated with such blind distrust and ultimately the providers with such disrespect. In addition, mothers and babies are deprived of the care they need after the unnecessarily medicalized births imposed on them by the medical model, which then condemns them to the consequences of such interventions. I am grateful I am in PP and not constrained by such edicts.

In response to Pamela's comment's I began referring babies for bodywork in 1994, while working in a hospital setting. l left there in 1997 and in 1998 was blackballed for continuing to refer. Of course, I did not stop, because I would have considered that unethical on my part, even though my income plummeted for about a year bc of it. I have worked closely with bodworkers for 20 years and rely enormously on bodywork to help these medically compromised babies bf successfully. Now, almost 100% of the mothers whose babies I refer for bodywork globally follow through with the care. In 2006, after meeting Betty Coryllos, it became clear to me that the best bodywork was not going to allow a tongue-tied baby to attain full function and I began differentiate between those babies where bodywork was not holding due to ties (tongue and eventually lip and buccal as well) and those where it was holding bc there were no such restrictions. It is not new to rely on bodywork to differentiate between ties and other causes for impaired function by any means. Sharon Vallone, Betty and I presented the first lecture on integrative care for TT in 2007.

What is unfortunate is the backlash against those of us most skilled in oral and structural/functional assessment who have a deep understanding of bodywork, but know full well that tethered tissue is not released by bodywork and that the sequelae that ensue when these ties are treated with a "wait and see approach" can have significant impact on breastfeeding and airway development that can span across the lifetime. I refer every single baby tethered  baby for bodywork and last year trained as a bodyworker myself. I refer every baby prior to release, not only after release and have been doing so for about 8 years. What I see quite clearly are the babies whose ties are revised and function is achieved in concert with IBCLC and bodywork care or those babies who are shepherded away from release, with the promise that compensations are nature's plan for managing such difficulties. I then see those kids back in my practice later with slow growth,  FTT, moms battling for their milk supplies after being told to block feed, or kids with myofunctional or airway disorders. I am just as concerned as anyone about the etiology of these ties, but my curiosity (which I spend a lot of time researching) does not cause me to dismiss what is right in front of me.

Jennifer

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, USA & France
 Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC