Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 06:48:13 +0000
We just discussed this very issue last week.  It is true that there is
very little information about this drug and breastfeeding.  I think
your post says everything about why the mother should be able to
breastfeed.  It is appalling that physicians and others who are
supposed to be concerned about the health of children will so blythely
say that breastfeeding is contraindicated.  What about the cognitive
development of this child?  What about the attachment of this child?
Why aren't they measuring the amount of drug in the milk, so concerned
about the mother taking it that they are testing it in the urine twice
a week.  Maybe they'll find out the baby would be getting almost none.
But no, no such thinking occurs in their tiny bureaucratic minds.  I
find such a situation so tragic, and so frustrating.  What right do
they have to so interfere?

"Breastfeeding is guilty until proved otherwise; formula feeding
innocent until proved otherwise".

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC