Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2016 21:22:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
I am not familiar with the type of tumor, but the web site for "Young Survival Coalition: Young Women Facing Breast Cancer Together” at https://www.youngsurvival.org <https://www.youngsurvival.org/>
has a wealth of information, and stories of many young women who have faced or are facing breast cancer.  A number of the stories are from mothers with nursing babies at time of diagnosis or who nursed afterwards.

From that web site:  
> Breast Cancer In Young Women
> Young women CAN and DO get breast cancer. It is estimated that more than 250,000 women diagnosed with breast cancer at age 40 or younger are living in the U.S. today. More than 13,000 young women will be diagnosed this year. While breast cancer in young women accounts for a small percentage of all breast cancer cases, the impact of the disease is significant. 
> 
> YSC was the first organization to focus exclusively on the unique issues young women with breast cancer face. It provides comprehensive resources, support and education to address every phase of a young woman’s breast cancer experience.
> 
> 

I recall that years ago on Lactnet Jaye Simpson posted about a mother who nursed twins on her one remaining breast following a mastectomy.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC
Madison, WI, USA

> Date:    Tue, 21 Jun 2016 21:07:55 -0400
> From:    Ellen Lasser <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> Subject: Breastfeeding after removal of phyllodes malignant tumor removal
> 
> Hi everyone,
> I am new to this site. I was hoping to see if anyone had info re this topic. One of my moms has a 14 month old that she breastfed successfully. She is now pregnant with her second child but had about half of one of her breast removed due to a phyllodes malignant tumor which was high grade. It is very rare and can recur but usually doesn't spread. She is recovering fine. She wants to nurse the new baby from the unaffected side. One of the surgeons is concerned about her breastfeeding at all. I thought I would put this out to the group to see if anyone had had any experience or knowledge about this type of cancer and whether there is a general risk for breastfeeding that anyone would know about. Thanks you so much. 
> Ellen Lasser CPNP, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2