From:
Doug Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:23:54 -0500

wrote to UNICEF:

>Thank you for your response. It is clear that UNICEF understands the
>problem with Ms. Seymour's apparent advocacy of bottlefeeding in her
>Clairol advertisements. However, I do not feel that "positive
>messages on breastfeeding" in her weekly television show, commendable
>though that may be, will negate the impression that is left in viewers'
>minds by her Clairol commercial. I am curious why someone who describes
>herself as an "ardent" supporter of breastfeeding would allow such a
>commercial to be aired in the first place.

I am also very interested in hearing her "excuse" re: doing this ad. She
obviously was present in person and she did the bottle feeding in the ad.
How can UNICEF now say:

>"she is, of course, very distressed about this incident.

She had the obvious choice not to do the ad or breastfeed in the ad.

I'ld love to see the response they give to your letter. Please post if
you receive a response.

Karen Cunningham MD, CCFP London
email at [log in to unmask]
Responding by email? Please put "Karen" into the subject line