From:
Emily Roysdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 13:27:09 -0700
From: "Susi Lawrence" <[log in to unmask]>

: In Berkeley, California yesterday the Guinness World Record for most
number
: of women breastfeeding simultaneously was 1130!!  It was lots of fun with
: all sorts of music, exhibitors, and women of all ethnicities
participating!

It was great, wasn't it?  I really loved the diversity of the event, since
where I live (Modesto, CA) tends to be mostly white in its nursing
population (weaning well before one year of age, of course.)  I was there
with my two nurslings (although my 4 year old wasn't nursing during the
count...the playground was just too tempting), and it was incredible to see
so many babies and no bottles in sight.  I'm usually the only one in any
crowd with a sling (though I've given Maya Wraps to my two closest friends),
so it was especially wonderful to hear my 4-year old commenting on how many
slings he saw.  I think events like that are fantastic for raising awareness
of nursing in general and extended nursing in particular (I got lots of
comments about nursing my older kids, all positive), and I'd love to see it
happen annually.

: Susan Lawrence, IBCLC--at this point in life a counter at the event, not a
: lactater (is that a noun??)...

I think you just created a new word :-)

Emily Roysdon, normally lurking...and an IBCLC-wannabe
mama to Noah Joshua (4/8/98) & Rebekah Grace, born at home (6/16/00)
http://emily.roysdon.net