Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:28:49 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
My niece, Earth Mother that she is to her 6 wk old son, is feeling "all touched out". She has great family help for holding the Little Guy, but the intensity of the attachment parenting lifestyle is closing in on her. She is reading the blogs that extol the virtures of letting the baby "exercise his lungs". It feels wrong to her, but she is teetering on the edge of letting people - strangers on the 'net - "should" on her.

What I want to explain to her is the natural needs of human babies. What I am thinking of is the natural needs for different milks for clutch babies, follow-along babies, holding babies, etc. And the info on why human babies are "born early" compared to other mammals - like 9 months early when compared to the skills and abilities of other mammal babies to walk, hang on to mom, find the teat without assistance, and all that. I know these things, but I'm looking for where they are written.

I do have some books to offer for her to select from: No Cry Sleep Solution, Crying Baby Sleepless Nights, Attachment Parenting, Infant Massage, and McKenna's Sleeping With Your Baby (which she has done well and safely from the start).
Baby is growing very well, good color, normal development, great supply of milk, OAMER is an issue, & she's thinking of Eats on Feets donation. 

This is not a colic problem. Just the usual attached baby or "velcro baby". He tends to migrate from a few inches away from mom on her bed, right over to her, settles in against mom's body and goes happily to sleep. Mom is looking for a little breathing room. It's a hard balance as you all know.

Thoughts?
Phyllis

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2