Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 13:53:12 -0400
In our hospital the refrigerator is for the breastmilk.
The formula is stored at room temperature  ---   ready-to-feed bottles.

.
Opal Horvat, BA, IBCLC
Bergenfield, NJ
.
.

***************
We are due for JCAHO visit and as usual this stirs up a hornets nest everywhere.
Today I was told that breastmilk was a biohazard (I know) and that as such
breastmilk had to be stored in a totally separate refrigerator from formula.

I have provided the CDC information (and the person telling me this is
Infectious Control nurse). Is there anything else out there "officially" that I
can provide? Of course I am home for the week so I don't have my resources.

What about separate storage for breastmilk and formula? As far as I know it is
not necessary. Is anyone doing this and if so why? If you are not doing it can
you also let me know ( and where you are) as I have been told there are various
JCAHO sitings for storing them together.

Thanks,
Lisa Enger RN BSN IBCLC
Boston, MA