Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:01:35 -0500
I do the same, Kathy.  This comes up when I guest lecture for World
Nutrition classes at one of the universities here in Miami.  When it does,
I'll ask.  "Well, gee.  Do cows drink milk?  (at this point sometimes I'll
get a "HUH?"  So I repeat/rephrase the question thusly:)  Do cows, those
same cows  that are giving out their milk, drink milk - their own milk?"
No, comes back the reply, with a smattering of laughs.  "Gee," I say.  "But
they have tons of calcium in their milk, don't they?"  Yes, they laugh in
reply.  "Well gosh," I go on.  What do they eat?  How do they make all of
this "great" milk, that is so rich in calcium, if they don't drink milk?
What do they eat?"  GRASS, they answer, LOL.

"GREAT," I say. "Eat a salad."
Regina Roig Lane, BS IBCLC for Miami-Dade County WIC, who loves a snappy
comeback