From:
Dianne Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:29:10 -0700
Hi Jan,

 >The pacifier  may be protective
 >for the formula fed infant, but it most likely doesn't do  diddly squat for
 >the exclusively breastfed baby.

Sure it (the pacifier) does- it messes with the natural breastfeeding
relationship!

 > Once again, "science" is  lumping all babies
 >together -- and not looking at the obvious -- that the baby  who is
exclusively
 >breastfed is the NORMAL baby -- much less likely given to  SIDS.

One of the problems  I see with this type of "science" is that the
recommendations  are geared towards the general public, and, unfortunately,
the bulk of the general public is (and I'm trying to be somewhat
politically correct here) is not terribly bright.  Now I have no "science"
to back up this statement  :-) but, from what I see, the majority of the
general public cannot be counted on to intelligently evaluate a situation
and consider the risks and benefits and make informed thoughtful healthy
decisions for themselves and their children.  They need and take the black
and white dictates of some higher authority with no questions asked.

If breastfeeding were all there was out there (as it should be...), then
the pacifier recommendation would be a moot point, because, as you and I
know, breastfeeding is the original pacifier and arousal mechanism for a
young baby.  The sleep recommendation would still have merit, however,
because although you and I may know how awesome it is to have our babies in
bed with us and nurse them whenever they feel the urge through the night
AND take the correct precautions to not put our babies in harms way with
soft mattresses, lots of pillows, and drug- and/or alcohol-impaired
adults.....the governing body of pediatricians can't assume that the bulk
of the babies will be cared for with the same precautions.  So, what's
safest for the AAP to do?  Dictate that babies should not be sleeping in
bed with their parents.

What the AAP could do is spell out the many benefits to bed-sharing,
including the synchronous breathing and arousal pattern of mother and baby
(I don't know if this exists in the same way with a baby who is fed formula
and sleeps with mom.), and encourage this arrangement with the appropriate
safety measures taken.  But that would be too much of a  gamble that
parents are going to actually follow through with making sure it's a safe
bedding scene. It is much safer for the AAP to gear their recommendation to
the lowest common denominator (when it comes to parenting).

Of course, I could be totally wrong here, and this new recommendation might
just be solely a factor of some handy/dandy research by Playtex (or whoever
makes pacifiers!) and the crib manufacturers!  ;-)  Certainly the formula
people stand to continue to benefit as breastfeeding is obviously
negatively impacted by these recommendations.

~Dianne Oliver, LLLL, IBCLC
Simi Valley, CA