From:
Nicole Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 01:00:47 -0500
I am sitting here with my IBCLC exam paper work....The biggest question I am
facing right now is whether or not I should sit for the IBCLC exam this year
for the first time.  I know I am not the only one so I would like some
advice whether off or on the list, but it may be beneficial to post it here
since others may be contemplating the same issue.

Here is my info:  I am 26, have 2 kids ages 5 and 2. I graduated from Union
Institute and University Dec. '07 with my Bachelors of Arts in Maternal and
Child Health concentration in lactation.  I am a Certified Lactation
Counselor (healthychildren.cc) and soon to be Certified Lactation Educator
through CAPPA (cappa.net) and a Texas Breastfeeding Peer Counselor. I am
also a doula, childbirth educator, and baby sign language instructor. I have
a home business where I offer breastfeeding counseling breast pump rentals,
and many other services. My goal is to one day open a storefront and have a
place where I can offer all these services and more.

The problem: In order to one day open a storefront or to expand my business
I need money and stability.  I would like to stay with the home business
alone, but as many of you know, home consults, workshops and pump rentals
are not going to fund a storefront, let alone bring home the bacon.

So I was considering working in a clinic or hospital as either a CLC or an
IBCLC. Honestly, it seems that administration and human resources do not see
a difference in them.  They do not have a "job description" for the position
and no protocols for lactation. It seems they avoid the idea of a new
position, and look at me like my credentials are made up!  The main thing
they ask is if I am a nurse. I am not, unfortunately, but I feel I could
still be a valuable asset to either a clinic or hospital. A local hospital
here has NO lactation support whatsoever (many of the moms I see come from
there and I have to do damage control time and again). I have presented
information to them and been turned down for any type of position, even as a
volunteer! If it was possible for me to start up a lactation program in a
hospital I would be thrilled and put off the idea of a storefront until my
children are grown.

My questions: Will I continue to be turned down because I am not a nurse as
well as a lactation professional? Will becoming an IBCLC increase my chances
of getting hired, and getting paid well?  What are the benefits of becoming
an IBCLC in these or other areas: financial, liability, association,
certification, education, respect?  Should I be concerned about the IBCLC
scope of practice and code of ethics?

While I hear the IBCLC education is valuable and the association is
important to be a part of, I am wondering if the financial investment and
hardwork and scope of practice compliance would be "worth it" in the long
run. I appreciate any and all feedback!

Thank you!
NICOLE HOFF, CLC
BA Maternal & Child Health Studies

BRIGHT BABIES, LLC
For all your parenting and baby needs!
Certified Lactation Counselor, Breast Pump Rentals
Doula Birth Partner, Baby Sign Language
Pregnancy & Childbirth Educator, & more!

Serving Families of South Texas
www.MyBrightBabies.com

"Behold, Children are a gift of the Lord.
The fruit of the womb is a reward!" Psalm 127:3