Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:37:14 -0700
Judy
Case study:  but in the last 2 weeks we had a patient  deliever who was on
Buspar (buspirone) during her pregnancy and she started breastfeeding right
after delivery (no pumping and dumping).  Baby is breastfeeding well and
gaining  and  mom is happy.
I gave the OB and the patient information from Hales book which says they
have not data on the excretion into breastmilk. the drug  does have a
rather short half life 4.8 hrs.
I discussed with the patient about changing to Zoloft(sertraline) and said
 we do have some data on Zoloft and breastmilk. But this mother had been on
numerous anti-depressants without much success and buspar  helped her so
she was relucent to change.
Jan Aken Rn IBCLC
Seattle Area where it is cloudy today
mailto:[log in to unmask]