From:
Louise Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:18:21 -0500
Alicia asked: "However, I was wondering if anyone has used herbal
menopause remedies in lactating mothers and, if so, which ones seemed to
work without causing breastfeeding problems?"

I have been using and suggesting with great success Ginseng and vitamin
E together to reduce hot flashes and lift mood.

You have to be careful if the lady is hypertensive but nothing else. I
don't know how it could affect breastfeeding...It is recommended for
athletes and elderlies too so...

Best Ginseng is the red one from China; it is more stable in pills
rather than teas or liquids. You take 500 to 1000 mgs per day (or more
but depending on weight) and never within 3 hours of consumption of
vitamin C which weakens its effect. You take it in conjunction with
vitamin E which potentializes it; 200 to 400 I.U. per day is enough. The
mix takes about 15 days to build up in your system and then it is great.
There is no know adverse effects except increasing the blood pressure so
I guess it could be safe during breastfeeding.

For an old but complete discussion on this by medical doctors: Seaman,
B. and Seaman,  G. Women and the crisis in sex hormones, New York:
Bantam Books, 1977. This books is also about D.E.S., oral
contraceptives, hormones during the menopause, etc. and...natural
remedies instead of those...

It has been my reference on this matter since I had serious hormonal
problems after my second child, about 20 years ago. I was clinically
'pre-menopausal' apparently at that time but I refused the diagnosis and
went to read and get my own treatment. I did find this and it has done
marvelously on me (and other colleagues, friends). I am now 48 y.o and I
am not menopausal yet, just having the pre-menopausal symptoms that are
slowly coming but that are taken care of with this recipe...   Good
luck. Louise

Louise Dumas, R.N., M.S.N., PhD
Professor-researcher in Nursing Sciences
University of Quebec in Hull

mailto:[log in to unmask]