From:
"MARCIA L. FODGE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 04:27:08 CDT
It intersted me, about the scissors hold being a universal thing
throughout the ages. Since I am a strong advocate of breast support
in the early days of BF to facillitate the latch. We have a very
high epidural rate and much difficulty with babies latching well
before they go home in 48hrs. I always start my mom's out with the
upright football hold. It helps them to see the babe and the babies
seem to breathe easier also. Our hospital beds and the extra tummies
the moms still have cause some problems with the cradle hold and a
good deep latch. I have the mom's use the c-hold in this position
and explain that the babies start to slip of the breast if it's not
supported in the beginning due to the wight and the shape. I tell them
if they keep their thumb by the nose and the fingers near the chin
no matter what position they hold the baby, that will help the baby stay
latched on. Then i use the BIG MAC analogy. Think of your breast as
a Big Mac. There is no way to eat it unless you hold it and try to fit
it in to your mouth like this (then I hold my hands like I'm holding a
hamburger) If I turn it this way (sideways) it won't fit into the mouth
and it will really be hard to eat. So if you hold your breast in the
same plane as the babies mouth they can stay latched much easier. Now
everybody grab a make believe baby and a breast (a make believe breast
for all you guys out there). With the football hold and c-hold works
perfect, and the cross-cradle but the c-hold is really uncomfortable in
the cradle hold cause it throws your elbow way up in the air to get the
hand in the same plane as the babies mouth. So this is why they use the
scissors hold, they can still support the breast, give a little
compression or support and keep their hand in the right position.
It just feels really natural. Sorry this was so long, it is really
hard to explain long distance. I could have gotten my point across
easily if I had had all 2000 of you in front of me.  sincerely,
marci fodge U of Iowa hospital.