Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:33:35 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Jeanette mentions several good suggestions for optimal pumping, but let's remember that this was a three week old baby, nursing and gaining well.  If mom wants to start pumping in order to have some milk for her return to work, I find it is often important to help the mother keep a perspective....she will really only need one or two day's worth of milk stored in advance.  Yes, she may want a bit more for her own peace of mind, but many mothers I talk to have no concept of how things are going to work once they leave the baby and start back to work.  

Therefore, they need to be reminded that they will have lots more milk to pump the first time they miss a feeding!  This often creats an ah-Ha! moment.  I myself suggest ONE pumping a day over and above nursing the baby during this precious and too short maternity leave.  Started two weeks before returning to work, a mother can therefore collect 14-28 ounces to have on hand.  This is plenty.

Also, if that three week old baby was or is in a growth spurt now, then it is possible to misinterpret that the milk supply is "low" when it is not.  Mother's need to be reassured about this, as well.  Turning to a pump to solve the growth spurt is another reason why pumps can interfere with breastfeeding!  

I think making any generalization about how soon pumping might increase a supply is questionable, at best.  Who can say?

Sue Jacoby
California

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2