From:
Susan Gehrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:17:00 -0400
The nurses at our hospital can keep their breastmilk in the staff refrigerator.  They place the bottle of milk in a protective bag or carrier and then put it in the refrigerator.  I suggested that they protect their milk from contamination of other things in the refrigerator (old or spilled food etc).  http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling_breastmilk.htm discusses handling of breastmilk for home and daycare providers.  I dont see how that would be any different than a staff  refrigerator at a hospital.  Our patients pumped milk is required to be in a separate refrigerator just for breast milk.  Staff milk is not allowed in that one. Hope this helps.

Susan Gehrman RN, IBCLC, CCE
Battle Creek Health System
300 North Ave.
Battle Creek, Michigan 49016

"The world may not honor your honorable intentions, but you should have them anyway"  Mother Theresa

This message may contain confidential information protected by law through attorney-client privilege or professional peer review/quality evaluation privilege.  It is intended only for the individual or entity named above.  It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message.  If you received this message in error, please notify the BCHS Privacy/Integrity Office at [log in to unmask] or (269) 966-8347.

>>> "Brandi Thomas" <[log in to unmask]> 10/23/2007 11:24 AM >>>
I am a hospital based IBCLC and have been asked if a nurse returning to work
can store her breastmilk in the staff refrigerator on the unit. Of course I see
absolutley no problem with this, but I would like some resources. Does anyone
know the DHEC regulation on this. I seem to remeber that the CDC did not
treat breastmilk as a biohazard item, but I am having trouble getting my hands
on that info. Is this OK? If not, why. I have never really been asked this
before. Either people are usually doing it without asking or keep cooler packs in
their lockers? Thanks for your help.
Brandi Thomas, RN, IBCLC, RLC, CLC