From:
Karin Hardman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2018 08:56:38 -0600
I have been so fascinated with this conversation.  I know it comes up every
few years And I have a few things to add. Many of the things being talked
about here are based on tradition about the nativity and not what was
actually said in the New testament. Much of what I point out here is
conjecture too but I think based on tradition of the time.

When Jospeh was told to go to Bethlehem, it was because he was of the
lineage of David. *Everyone* from the lineage of David had to go there.
That means all of Josephs family and very likely Mary's family also went
with them. She knew when she was due. They likely understood that they
could be there a while and it seems unthinkable to me that they were alone
either during travel or accommodations.

She knew when she was due and seems unlikely that plans for a potential
birth in Bethlehem were ignored. Luke says the time came for Mary to be
delivered. The idea that they were in a rush is completely conjecture and
tradition. The town was likely overflowing its borders and Joseph was
looking for a mostly private place and the relatively clean stable was a
perfect choice. It was away from other people (but prob still had some
relatives with them) and away from the inherent hygeine problems of large
gatherings of people.

Again, the town was full to bursting. In no time, has it ever been normal
for women to birth alone. If she didn't have a trained midwife (which I
think she did), she would have had her own kin surrounding her and
supporting her. It makes sense to me that the manger was a larger size for
the larger animals and bedding all three of them after the birth sounds
about right. Joseph likely was not there during the birth simply based on
the idea that men were not traditionally part of birth, but I would like to
believe he was close by.

Not much is said of the particulars. But we also know that when people
write, the pieces of their culture that are so embedded are often ignored
because they are obvious to the writer. I think if they had been alone,
that would have stood out to Luke. If the birth had been precipitous, it
would have stood out to Luke. If it was "out of the ordinary" it would have
been mentioned by Luke.

Warm holiday blessings to all,
Karin Hardman
IBCLC, Byhalia, Mississippi