Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:15:35 -0800
Hi All,

I think Nan's post about male control is very accurate.  I recently went to a conference here in Costa Rica sponsored by the Comision Nacional de Lactancia Materna, IBFAN and La Leche League amongst others.  It was a two day conference and unfortunately I could only go on the second day.  However, on the first day in one of the sessions a short video clip was shown:-

It shows a man going into a urinal and just before he starts a team of doctors rushes in and says "No, no, no, you cant do it that way."  They proceed to haul him onto the gurney and spread his legs apart and "help" him go about his business.

The clip was just to show not only how medicalized birth has become when it should be so natural but also how male dominated birth has become.  Has anyone else seen this clip?

Shirley Riordan LLLL, IBCLC