From:
Peg Merrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:12:23 -0400
Thought I'd give everyone an update.  Laurie was right about looking for
horses, not Zebras.  I had posted to lactnet before seeing this mom to get
ideas and fortify myself as I thought I had never dealt with this before..
I had researched  and had a long list of questions ready.  Turned out all
the questions were negative. She doesn't seem to have any endocrine or
thyroid problems  Turned out it was hospital mismanagement again and
conflicting advice. AARRRGHH!!! Doctor had told her to give 4 bottles and
wait for her milk to come in. She was using an evenflo nipple and giving 4
oz. Also, She had had several bags of IV fludis and 4 epidurals so her feet
were swollen after she delivered.
 The LC who took the call and scheduled the apointment asked mom if she had
been pumping.  Mom said yes, she was pumping with the pump from the hospital
and not getting anything. Bev assumed she had a rental pump, but what mom
had was the pump kit and she had been using the hand pump that came with it.
Anyway, when I saw her she did have milk.  I could hand-express some. Mom
was delighted with that  I set her up with a mini-sns and a Classic pump for
the weekend.  I  hoping that by Mon. she will have plenty of milk and we
won't have to go to Reglan or domperidone. So you see, it was horses that I
could easily fix - no Zebras like I had worried about.  Thanks for all your
ideas and support. It really does help to boost self-confidnece to have so
many others say the same things!
 Peg Merrill, IBCLC