From:
Lisa Amir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 19:56:24 +1100
Hi Lactnettters,
It's great to be back after a month away. My family were lucky enough to have lunch
with Helen Woodman and her family in West Sussex! Thanks to lactnet!
About babies with white tongues: not all white tongues are due to thrush. I sometimes
see mothers who have continued thrush treatment for weeks b/c baby's tongue is still
white. I will then take a swab of the tongue (for micro and culture)- usually there
is no candida. If the mother has no pain, then there is no need to keep treating a
baby just b/c the tongue is white.
About the father with oral thrush. this is usually due to contact with the baby's
mouth via a dummy/pacifer or a finger. I once saw a family where everyone had a sore
mouth (even the teenage stepson) due to popping the baby's dummy into their own
mouths!
I saw very few babies breastfeeding on my travels (England, Paris and Switzerland).
One Argentinian soccer fan baby on the Paris metro, one outside the chimpanzee
enclosure at the Zurich Zoo and one American on the train to the Jungfraujoch (the
highest train station in Europe)!
Wish I could have attended the ILCA conference....perhaps next year.
Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia