From:
Kimberly Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:45:26 -0500
Thank you to all lactneters for all the help you have provided me so far in
my new position as the lactation consultant at a major teaching hosp. here
in Portland, OR. Today my question is about breastpumping and cardiac
surgery. I have a mom from another state who has a premie in a NICU in her
home state. During her pregnancy, it was discovered that this  mom
probably needs surgical repair of coarctation of the aorta. She is coming in
next week for cardiac cath and if results are bad, she will have cardiac
surg. next day. Baby was born in Jan. (due date mid April) and she has
established good milk supply with pumping. Surg. team had told her she
couldn't pump x 24 hours if surgery required. Luckily, they called me for
consult. At this point, my plan of care includes: Pump just before goes in
for surg. and then as soon as possible after (in recovery room) and then on
reg. schedule in ICU. Also concerned about the surgical incision potentially
severing nerves that innervate the mammary glands. Anyone with pearls of
wisdom? Thank you,
Kimberly Jackson, RN, IBCLC