From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:39:22 -0800
>>I thought one used saline because it killed bacteria by pulling water out
of
them.  Like putting salt on a slug to kill it, only at the microscopic
level.<<

Yes, but......... I've actually been more interested in another facet,
setting up a concentration gradient that tries to equalize by pulling milk
out of the breast, such as for engorgement. However, you all have reminded
me of the basic wound healing application. For the former, a more saline
solution is needed, and for the latter, a fairly isotonic solution.

So is there a consensus for the amount of salt appropriate for each
application?

~Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC