From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 08:52:38 -0900
I know of two mothers who suffered similar situations. Both had twins
(first births for both).  Both were in the ICU and put on Cardic Transplant
waiting lists.  One (over 5 years ago, a grad student from China) was told
by the cardiology team that she could not breastfeed. I only met her after
she was at home with her babies.  The other mother (Premature birth,
different hospital, 1 1/2 years ago) did breastfeed through many
difficulties and is still nursing her 19 month old twins.  Both mothers
made a gradual recovery, and were later taken off the Transplant List.

If this mom wants to nurse, I would think it beneficial to get a pump in
there right away and give it a try.  If she doesn't care one way or the
other, maybe donor milk could be found for the baby?  It would be hard to
try to convince someone in this scary situation of the value of nursing if
it didn't support a view to which she was already was committed.

There may be varying degrees of severity of this cardiac problem.  I don't
know.  But thinking of Kathy Dettwyler's recent post on the body's grieving
reaction for a "dead baby" when lactation does not follow birth, I would
think it helpful to support the mother's normal body functions.  The
problem is convincing a cardiology team of the value of breastfeeding.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL leader in Madison, Wisconsin
mailto:[log in to unmask]