From:
jhroibal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 23:32:46 -0500
Babies are all born with distinct temperament traits that have been
identified by Stella and Chess and can be described as

flexible--easy going,
fearful--shy or withdrawn
feisty--difficult, stubborn, demanding, excitable . . . (hey, this
describes ME)

Anyway, I teach parenting classes and often remind parents of feisty,
stubborn children who constantly say, "NO!" that these are precisely the
traits we WANT to see in our adolescent children.  So if they are
experiencing peer-pressure to experiment with drugs, sex, alcohol, etc.
they will shout, "NO!" just like when they were toddlers.

Parents nod their understanding and seem to back-off a little. Infant
temperament is a fascinating topic for me and these traits can be seen
even during breastfeeding.  These traits include: activity level,
biological rhythms, approach/withdrawal, mood, intensity of reaction,
sensitivity, adaptability, distractibility, and persistence.

These traits are easy to identify when the child or adult exhibits the
extreme.  For example, a child who is predictable, easy going and easy
to comfort is probably flexible.  A child who is unpredictable, and
difficult to comfort may be feisty.

Now imagine a toddler who is being encouraged to wean. My guess is, the
feisty child will react intensely, become easily irritable, and persist
in asking to nurse and the fearful or withdrawn child may not react very
much.

Temperament is a life-long attribute and the study of temperament is an
eye-opening lesson for me.

Warmly,
Heidi in Albuquerque