From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:10:22 -0400
>Maybe she'll go past term, or is she going to be induced to meet the
>deadline? What if she ends up with a CS and is still in the hospital the
>Saturday of the class? Pretty tight logistics here...

Jean's very wise comments reminded me of a LLL meeting years ago, at which a
pregnant first time mom told the group with great enthusiasm of plans to
join two other couples for their annual group winter vacation in bunkbeds in
a mountain cabin, several weeks after the baby was due to be born.  You
could see the other mothers throwing furtive little glances at each other
and shifting uneasily while the speaker described how they'd all done this
for years and how they were all such good friends.  She finished with, "Do
you think it's a good idea?"  It took a while for anyone to speak, but of
course it turned out that the whole room thought - ever so tactfully - that
it was a *terrible* idea.  "Well, I sort of wondered..." she said.  It seems
she wasn't so enthusiastic after all...

I'll bet this MBA mom "sort of wonders" too.  Taping the class or doing an
independent study, to be dealt with at home on her own terms and time,
sounds like the best solution.  (But if she *does* go to class with the
baby, I still think she's far better off bringing along someone really
knowledgeable about newborns and breastfeeding than relying on an equally
inexperienced dad.  Could be a mighty long day...)

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY