From:
"Gary E. Prevatt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 1995 01:30:58 EDT
A mom called me with concerns about six  week old baby's stool, which have been
green since birth.  Baby has stain with every diaper change, with two or three
larger BM's during the day.    Birth weight 6'10", at one week 6'6".  Baby has
not been weighed since this time, I suggested she have baby's weight checked
ASAP.  Mom nurses baby every two hours five minutes, at which time baby falls
asleep.  Mom also nurses a four year old, as often as six week old.  Each child
has "regular" side, which mom does not switch.  Older child nurses enough that
he does not eat well.  Mom is German-her parents are long term visiting, so
there is a lot of interference and stress.  Mom also bundles/swaddles baby all
the time.
To me it sounds like baby is not getting enough hind milk, but how long should
it take for stools to change?  Should mom seek medical advice at this point or
is it safe to wait?  How long?  Baby seems happy and well, according to mom.  I
have not seen baby, she is about 2 hours away.  What else could cause this
condition?  I also suggested that mom switch nursing times with children,
encourage baby to nurse longer per side, limit older child nursing somewhat to
see if it made a difference.  Am I missing anything?  Thanks for all comments.
Susan J. Prevatt