From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:03:21 +1000
Denny you raise an interesting issue - one which we've been discussing on
another LC list I am on.  I became quite concerned about "prescribing" and
"supplying" OTC medications/drugs/lotions/herbals/etc just recently when I
read of the LC who had been reprimanded by the IBLCE for prescribing and
supplying domperidone.  Domperidone is an OTC drug in many countries -
being 'not available' on the whole in the USA would it need a script there
too?  If yes, I can certainly see a very clear violation of her country's
laws, but what if the same LC did this in England (where it is OTC)??
Is this any different to us prescribing and supplying gentian violet,
lansinoh, herbals, etc, etc.  In our group discussions we felt that if push
ever came to shove then yes it would infringe prescribing rights.  We felt
that there could be very good ways to give mothers the information about
all her options, but then to clearly leave the choice to her.  I don't know
how you'd go having the products there available for her to purchase and
still being very careful to ensure you are not seen as 'prescribing'.
Denise

Denise Fisher
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.health-e-learning.com