From:
Naomi Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2011 23:27:09 +1000
Hi all,
apologies for being a bit late, just catching up on emails now.

A few years ago I saw a presentation from Donna Geddes that referred to research done under the Hartman team in Wa. They talked about the fat globules sticking to the side of the milk ducts the longer they sat in the ducts. eg. the old milk bottles with the cream floating to the top. SO when I am talking to Mums about this I use a hot water tap analogy.

When you turn a hot water tap on, it takes a while for the water to warm up. If you turn it off and come back not too long after it is still warm, if it is a long time after it is cool.  The hot water is like the fat in milk. The more frequently you feed, the fattier your milk is; The longer you go between feeds, the lower the overall fat concentration is.

Love to hear your comments on this analogy. Hope it helps.

Naomi Hull
IBCLC(2010), RN(1993), Breastfeeding Counsellor -ABA (2006)
Mum to Ashleigh (2001) Hayden (2003)
Wife to Graham (1999)