From:
"Stearns, Crystal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 09:25:14 -0500
Hi all,
I think several of you have been right on target.  I to have worked with
many clients from India and had no problem with these mothers receiving
help.  I also have a good friend who is from India, an RD/LD, IBCLC who had
no problems with breastfeeding her own child and has even stated that this
is what is expected of women from that culture.  One of the key points we
are haven't  address is that this husband is a Pediatrician and what are his
view points on the subject.  Was the father born, raised, and or educated in
this country?  If so then his thoughts on BF could be different than if he
was born, raised and/ or educated in the country from which this mother is
from.
Depending on the time you have before delivery of this baby I would suggest
at least one meeting with the mother then one meeting with mother and father
to discuss the issues.  I to think that by this mother staying over to talk
to you after class that she was asking for some help.  The help maybe that
she wants a way out of having to bf this baby and there maybe some guilt on
her part since most women in her culture do bf and she feels she just can't.
The option of just pumping might be one she could except.  I've has more
than I would like to count of moms who had be abused and just could not put
the baby to breast, but were able to pump and provide EBM for their infant.
Pumping gave these moms some control in their lives.
I have a Masters in Counseling and work daily with moms who have a number of
issues that affect their mothering abilities.  I would like to pat you on
the back for looking out side the box for help for this mother, baby and her
family.  Suggest counseling to them and remember to take care of yourself,
because these kind of cases can take a lot of emotional energy.

Crystal Stearns RNC, MS, IBCLC
Mercy Memorial Health Center
Ardmore, OK  73401
I've just been excepted into a Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Program!