From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:50:07 -0400
Hi, all,
I just received the pre-copy of the Journal "Pediatrics", and there is an
abstract of a research study entitled Infant Mechanical Suffocation Deaths
in the
United States, 1980-1997
http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/abstract/103/5/e59

It discusses classifications of suffocation deaths, and concludes:
Conclusions.  Suffocation hazards presented by beds, bedding, pillows, and
plastic bags continue to be underrecognized by
parents and caregivers. Bed-sharing and use of adult beds for infants
should be discouraged. Only complying cribs should be
used and maintained properly to ensure structural integrity. Suffocation
deaths involving plastics should be investigated to
determine the specific material characteristics and use patterns to design
more effective interventions than selective labeling.
Key words:  suffocation, infants, beds, cribs, co-sleeping.

Full text is available at the link above.

I'm sure there will be full media warnings against co-sleeping when this
hits Reuters and all.
NancyH
Nancy Holtzman RN BSN MOM
Great Beginnings New Mothers Groups
Boston MA
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Sitting for the IBCLE this July?  Join our study and support group by
clicking http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/LCexam