From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:22:02 EDT
Darillyn,
Absolutely!  Moms with overabundant milk and overzealous let-down present
with fast-growing babies.  When I come upon these moms, I assist them to tone
down their supply so that babies learn a proper latch.  Most moms presenting with
these symptoms don't know that something can be done about it.  However, the
worst scenario is when a baby merely opens his mouth like a little bird
waiting for the food to drop into his mouth.  Then when 3 months old and mom's
breasts must be actively suckled for milk production (is this autocrine system?),
not sure right now, these babies need to learn proper latching technique like a
newborn because they've never had to utilize the proper suckle since birth.
But, to keep nursing they either figure it out spontaneously, don't figure it
out and mom's supply drops, or receive appropriate consultation to assist with
latch-on.  I prefer to assist with the resolution of the
oversupply/overzealous let-down problems early on to prevent problems down the road.  I only wish
more moms were informed about this possibility.
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL