From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 07:33:00 -0800
I have them put the cabbage into a plastic baggie and seal the bag.  Then
nuke 'em until the bag starts to expand.  This is usually when the leaves
are just beginning to cook.  Depending on the microwave and the amount of
cabbage (only do two to four leaves at once), it's usually about 15-30
seconds on high.  While they are still warm put them on.  Another approach,
which my co-Leader uses, is to cook them slightly and grind them up into a
poultice.  This is actually being used by cosmetic companies to reduce
undereye swelling.  Another possibility for moms without microwaves is to
crush the fiberous parts of the cabbage by rolling over them several times
with a rolling pin.  For both approaches, one caution though.  Don't use
the outter most leaves because cabbage is heavily sprayed unless you get
organic cabbage.  Many people will react to the pesticides--not the
cabbage.  I actually grow my own cabbage year round just for this purpose
and bring them on all home visits with potential engorgement problems.  I
often caution mom's that what I am about to say is going to sound strange.
And, depending on the mom, I may not mention cabbage leaves at all. Is my
explanation clear?
WarmLLLy,

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )             **CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**