From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 05:00:58 EDT
One-sided feedings:  When I encounter a woman who states she's breastfeeding
for 10 minutes on one side and then 10 minutes on the
other.....clock-watching.  First, I take a deep breath, and then I explain
the first side as the main meal and the second side as dessert.  Usually, the
light bulb goes on at this point.  If I don't assess understanding with the
concept yet, then I proceed with describing the story of how ravenous she was
at times during pregnancy, and usually I'll get an acknowledgement to that
statement.  Then I'll proceed to describe the what if after you took a few
bites of food from your plate, someone approached you and said, sorry, you're
done!  and took away your plate.  How would you feel?  And, so I'll relate
this scenario back to the baby at the breast, and say if your baby is nursing
well at the breast, meaning it doesn't hurt, you can see nice, long jaw
movements, etc. then don't take away the plate.  Let him/her finish the meal,
meaning either gentle stimulation doesn't re-establish the jaw movements
and/or baby falls off the breast satisfied after several bursts of
sucks/swallows, and then try to offer the other breast; the dessert.  Like
many of us, and I usually admit, namely me, we don't need dessert.  Likewise,
if after repositioning and switching sides, your baby doesn't latch onto the
second side, it's okay.
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services
Geneva, Il