From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 20:28:11 +0300
Kathy Dettwyler, you raise some really interesting and important issues
about Miriam Labbok's breastfeeding schema.  Have you pointed these out to
her?  I would love to see you put your heads together to remedy the
problems, so that we can come up with some kind of useable, common
definition to use, that clearly separates the exclusively breastfed group
from the others.  You are right that we need to identify how the breastmilk
is given.  It had not occurred to me before that babies labeled
"exclusively breastfed" might be getting the breastmilk in a bottle, a cup,
perhaps frozen several months earlier, etc.

Nothing is ever easy or straightforward, it seems.

Glad you are there, keeping us all thinking and not allowing us to get
complacent.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL leader in Madison, WI