From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:10:00 -0500
ABout question #2, with a clicking sound and no other symptoms, I would
answer: it is to be observed. As other little clues (lips flanged, cheeks
caving in...) it can be an indicator of a problem. But it might not be.
Weight gain OK, nipples confortable, Mom and Baby happy ? Observe, and
sleep well.
As for question #1, I have no clue. I just noticed in my practice that
"fine tuning" occur at about 5-6 weeks: big problems are out, nipples are
tolerable, weight gain OK, but there appears these "fine tuning"
difficulties: overactive ejection reflex, cluster feeding, etc...  When I
tell that to mothers, they usually smile and feel somewhat reassured that
this too shall pass, that baby will eventually have a more "human" (i.e.
confortable for Mom) schedule, and that summer will be wonderful, without
having to carry bottles that need to be kept cold, then warmed up... not
very convenient on the beach !

Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H
Chargee d'enseignement clinique
Departement de medecine sociale et preventive