From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:07:44 -0500
Hi all!  First, thanks to all of you who sent your well wishes my way-it
was greatly appreciated!  We're both doing well and my little ones are in
love with their new baby sister.

After a few days of being home with my new bundle of joy, I started going
through some of the things I received during my short stay in the hospital.
 Guess what-I got one of those cute little "Peter Rabbit" Breastfeeding
Success Bags, complete with a can of powdered Enfamil.  Don't ya know I was
DELIGHTED?!

Yesterday, I took the cute little bag of goodies along with Christina to
her first pediatrician's visit and showed it to her doctor, who is an avid
breastfeeding supporter.  He seemed flabbergasted that I had received
something like this but was even more upset when he saw the note inside of
it that it came as a gift "from her doctor".  He now has it in his
possession and what he does with it is his business.  He understood that I
couldn't accept such a "gift" and was pretty apologetic.  I also told him I
received four different cans of powdered formula at my first prenatal visit
some 9 months ago.

Will it ever stop?  Probably not, but I wasn't going to put up with it any
more.  I really thought our hospital had discontinued this
practice-obviously it hasn't!  And in those first few days before my milk
came in and the baby was nursing really frequently, when I was tired,
aching and sore, I can understand how someone who didn't know any better
would open te formula and give their baby a bottle when it didn't need one!

Still no mail-my little one needs to eat now and I haven't figured out
typing and nursing a little baby yet!

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources  http://www.childbirth.org/bbfr
Manhattan, KS  USA