From:
Renee Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 03:14:24 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/2005 9:07:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

While  reading "The Bi-Polar Child" book, I noticed that the authors equate
fussy, irritable babies with children who turn out to be bi-polar (manic
depressive). I found this a very interesting link. How many babies do we  see
that are just "not right with the world"? Or even toddlers and young
children.

Hello friends....I haven't written in some time...been busy  working on
breastfeeding stuff off list so my time has been quite  stretched...

Anyway, wanted to jump in here.  This is purely  anecdotal, but my now 7 yr
old son has finally been diagnosed as bipolar.   He was a 39 weeker, 9 lb 2oz.
Unmedicated vag delivery.  He was  breast fed exclusively for 4 mos, and
supplemented but still breast fed also up  to 6 mos.  He was always a "difficult"
baby.  He nursed almost  constantly and was very fussy...very, well for lack
of no other word,  difficult.  He wasn't "colicky" and my milk supply was not
the issue.   I took it that he was just a "big boy" and wanted to eat all the
time.   Well eating wasn't all he wanted, he NEEDED to be held almost
constantly,  however, he REFUSED to sleep in bed with us...wanted to be in his crib..I
know  that sounds like a contradiction, but it is true..at night wanted to be
in his  bed...during the day, wanted to be held.  As he grew older, he was
very  "out of control"  No amount of discipline, no amount of anything worked for
 him.  Finally, fearing he may have some autism issues, I had him evaluated
at the M.I.N.D. Institute at the UC Davis.  There he was diagnosed as  autism
free (thankfully) however had the most severe ADHD possible, and sensory
integration dysfunction.  Found that he needed more stimulation than most  kids
(explained why he was constantly spinning in circles and never getting  dizzy).
He was medicated for the ADHD issues and things were better for a  time,
however as he got older he got more violent.  (You should see the  holes in his
bedroom walls) Finally at the end of his first grade year last  year, the school
placed him in a reform school type situation because he was  dangerous to
himself and to others.  Over the summer we FINALLY got him in  to see a
psychiatrist (that was something else) and fortunately she has some  background in
child hood bipolar.  Chad is a classic case.  He has  been started on Risperdal
0.25 mg BID, and we have been working with his rages,  and I am proud to say he
has totally turned around.  He has been in school  a week and 1/2 now without
one single episode of rage, and you can make that  over a month for a rage
here at home.  Please pray for us that it stays  that way.

Looking back I can see that this has always been an issue for  him, from day
one.  He showed signs as an infant, we just didn't know what  we were looking
for.  After doing much research, I have found that this is  common.  Many
parents of children with the same diagnosis can trace the  symptoms back to
infancy.  I believe (and this is just gospel according to  Renee) that these
children are born with a lack of/ or a disorder of some  chemical in their brains.  I
doubt seriously that it just "happens" later  in life, The key is to replace
or work on this chemical to bring it to a normal  level and they can be the
most endearing children.  Chad acts very much  like a "normal" 7 year old now.
I don't believe I am "drugging" him to  gain control, although I am accused of
that daily.  I believe he NEEDS  these medications and that without them, he
would eventually do something that  would hurt himself or others.  When I have
been criticized about the  medications, I offer people to take him and fix
him some other way...funny, no  takers as of yet.

I am glad of one thing...he received my milk.  I believe  that it probably
would have been worse as an infant if my body wasn't providing  what he needed.
I weaned him early because of ignorance more than  anything.  Had I known
then what I know now, I can't help but wonder if he  may not have been as
severe....ah well I will never know.

Anyway there is an answer from someone in the trenches.   BTW I recommend The
Bipolar Child as required reading for anyone dealing with  children on an
everyday basis...I am impressed that you have read  it.

Renee Drake RN CLC

I make milk....What's YOUR superpower???