From:
Anne Andrianos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 06:28:45 -0700
It is wonderfu that the mother is still alive! And
don't you just marvel at how the body will make lots
of milk in spite of all the trauma. That is the power
of lactation! I have seen the same type response in
several post partum bleeding situations which is
impressive and makes me wonder if sheehan's syndrome
really exists. At any rate, this may be a case when
early discharge might be a blessing. Get her home then
you can get to work. My suggestion is to stabalize the
situation. Get her pumping, make sure her breasts are
comfortable...in a busy hospital and being so weak,
this will be a true accomplishment. There are many
reasons why the hospital LC may not be readily
available and she may never get enough help there.
When she gets home, and if she has a good supply, then
getting the babies on breast gradually, will follow.
Certainly, there needs to be lots of helping hands and
support in the home for the mother to do this. As for
the yeast, do her breasts hurt when she is pumping? If
not,it may very well be engorgement related and will
subside. Did she have a yeast infection befor
delivery? Why do you think that it would be yeast so
soon?  Think of all the women (esopecially non-nursing
new mothers) who get antibiotics and don't develop
ductal yeast. This mother has not had enough
opportunities to develop nipple trauma which would
lead to the usualy nipple/ductal yeast infection. I
would try and look for other sources of her pain, and
some of it might be in her emotions.  Best wishes,
Anne Andrianos, Syracuse, NY