From:
"Dawn K. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:19:03 -0500
Joylyn,
I was recently working as a doula for a mom who had 35 week twins.  I was
surprised in my reading to learn the ways that premies NEED to be handled is
different than term babies.  Not that the hospital should be discouraging
breastfeeding!!  In Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (Riordan & Aurbach) it
is recommended that premies NOT be awakened to feed except at the 3 hour
mark.  Because they're premies they need the extra sleep.  In the NICUs here
they are often given pacifiers and I was told (by ??) it was because their
need to suck is higher (?).  I do think it is a mistake to introduce formula
(or breastmilk in bottles) unless absolutely necessary with the excuse or
conclusion that she can just breastfeed once she gets home.  My client had
one twin released on day two and the other in the NICU for 16 days.  It was
awful (they lived 45 minutes away with no traffic), by the end they (the
parents) would have done almost ANYTHING to get the second baby home
(formula, fortifiers, monitor, meds, frequent f/u's).  Both are doing great
now, nursing like champs, off all interventions and gaining well.  Good luck
to your friend, she's lucky to have you for support!
Dawn Martin
Austin, TX