Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 14:36:19 -0700
I practice in a hospital where we generally recommend Dr. Newman's protocol
for treating nipple yeast infections.  One of our doctors prescribed Elecon
for a patient with nipple yeast.  On researching why he prescribed that we
found he was referring to advice given in the August 2000 Contemporary
OB/GYN where there was a very good article that was really an interview with
Ann K Friedmann.  Newman's Ointment does have some cortisone in it, but I
was always under the impression that it was an adjunct to  the other
ingredients promote healing by decreasing inflammation and that steroids on
their own wouldn't affect yeast.

Does anyone have any insight into this and documented (vs. anecdotal)
rationale so I can speak intelligently with this physician who is generally
supportive of breastfeeding?

Thanks,

Kathleen Sacks, IBCLC
Orem, UT