From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:53:28 -0400
From the August 2 Business Week, p.6:
***
Why Didn't Hooters Think of That?

How do you fill your nightclub? Well, there's happy hour, of course, and
ladies' night. But Steve Gupta, owner of a new dance club in Melbourne,
Fla., is trying something a little different. Make that a lot different. As
local radio ads for his club, Energy, put it, female patrons who enter a
drawing can win "a free set of sumptous new breast implants -- any size, any
shape."

Sure, it's crass. But it has proven effective. "They're signing up left and
right," says bar manager Lisa Flanagan. Every Wednesday in July, hopefuls
put their names in for the grand drawing, to be held in late July or August.
Few have expressed concerns about their health -- only their figure. Joanne
Rivera decided to try for the mammary enhancements despite her husband's
encouragement. "I've wanted to do it for a long time," she says. "It just
wasn't feasible -- it's around $4,000." She says 75 women from her office
have also decided to try to win the procedure."

The giveaway is an intriguing marketing gimmick. But will Gupta be offering
comparable "help" to his male patrons? "No," he gulps. "Nothing like that."
***
My mother's right. We are going to hell in a handbasket.

Janice Berry
Westerville, OH