Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:26:41 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
The only thing I saw was it's use for increasing milk production in cows in India, a very old article.  Supposedly increases prolactin levels.  The problem with all of these things - is there is NO really good way to do controlled studies!  Unless you weigh every feeding to document baby's intake (how invasive is that?), document every pumping session including times of day, length of pumping etc.  It's all anecdotal.  By the way, shatavari in the US is called asparagus root, same thing.  I'm looking at that too.  Wishing we could get someone on board to get domperidone in the US, even investigationally, would be nice.  Without doing hormone levels, which no one wants to pay for, how else do you verify that something is truly working?  I have arthritis.  I find it truly "relative" the whole pain scale way of evaluating a treatment's effectiveness.  My pain is not only affected by the drugs I take, but by the foods I eat, the exercise or lack thereof, my emotional and psychological state, my attention to the pain versus engaging in the world and those about me, etc.  It's what makes being a health care provider so frustrating - because it's not a car that you can just change out the carburetor! (But neither do we junk it if we get frustrated!) 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dr. Leeper
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 9:12 PM
Subject: Shatavari

We are trying to find information on using Shatavari to increase milk production---it is mentioned in "Making More Milk", and Diana West told me
it is useful.   I am looking for any information on its safety and
effectiveness. Anyone out there using it?  My biggest concern is that other MDs in the community are going to flip if we start to recommend it.

Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC, FABM
Medical Director
MilkWorks-nonprofit breastfeeding support center Lincoln, NE

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2