From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:26:41 -0600
The only thing I saw was it's use for increasing milk production in cows in India, a very old article.  Supposedly increases prolactin levels.  The problem with all of these things - is there is NO really good way to do controlled studies!  Unless you weigh every feeding to document baby's intake (how invasive is that?), document every pumping session including times of day, length of pumping etc.  It's all anecdotal.  By the way, shatavari in the US is called asparagus root, same thing.  I'm looking at that too.  Wishing we could get someone on board to get domperidone in the US, even investigationally, would be nice.  Without doing hormone levels, which no one wants to pay for, how else do you verify that something is truly working?  I have arthritis.  I find it truly "relative" the whole pain scale way of evaluating a treatment's effectiveness.  My pain is not only affected by the drugs I take, but by the foods I eat, the exercise or lack thereof, my emotional and psychological state, my attention to the pain versus engaging in the world and those about me, etc.  It's what makes being a health care provider so frustrating - because it's not a car that you can just change out the carburetor! (But neither do we junk it if we get frustrated!)