From:
Ellen Phaff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:36:09 -0400
Hi all,
Arlene was curious as to why Ross would even want to distribute the AAP book.

Well having written a book in Hebrew 1995 and having my publisher sell it to one of the formula companies in Israel without my knowledge, I have learned firsthand what their motives were and why they would want to have their hand in emanating breastfeeding information.
1) riding on our professionalism (authors of such books) gives credence to their existence.
2) because of the increase in initiating of breastfeeding, they are losing money.
3) by "being there" and being the first name to reach a mom who is bfg, she will most likely choose that first brand that she is introduced to, by means of the advertising on the cover of the book.

Legally, I doubt that they would change anything in the book itself, but as for advertising on the cover, there is no legal limitation. If they had changed anything in my book to suit their needs I would have sued. but the issue regarding the ad on the cover was sketchy and we all know that there would be no gain (just expenses) to take them to court. So, I left it. and just severed contact with the publisher.

The difference is, of course, my case was without my prior knowledge and it seems, although we do not know yet how this liason came to be, that it is with AAP consent. I' personally received a few "attacks" from people who knew nothing of the background of my connection.
Maybe we should also try and find out how it came to be. If the booklet was "on sale" like mine was, then legally anyone can purchase books in bulk. It is, after all, a free world out there. Unethical? maybe the AAP fell into a trap like i did, by not ever thinking that a formula company would even want the book.  Who knows?

Meanwhile, just a few weeks ago, my updated version has been published with the assistance of a substantial donation (non-commercial) and because I have no commercial ads in it, got the blessing of our Ministry of Health and a whopping letter of recommendation inside the book!!

Sad to say, I probably will not manage to distribute the 100's of thousands of copies that the formula company managed to distribute - (without question they were able to distribute in each and every medical institution in the country whereas, as an individual and on a voluntary basis we know that they will not allow distribution of the same and improved booklet without the usual beaurocratic lip-service and in the end some stupid reason why they just can't allow it!!)
But, we do have our principles!! And as the ever optimist, I believe justice will prevail and something will come up to allow mass distribution.

I would love to hear that the circumstances of this connection were similar to mine, but maybe I am just naive.?

ellen shein, IBCLC
Tel Aviv, still vacationing in upstate NY